Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, August 12, 2016

Drought

***I composed and posted this almost a year ago today. This week, Aug 2016, I am grieving a different kind of loss, sitting in my new residence back up in the oh-so-beautiful and comforting Pacific Northwest.


Currently, I live in California.

Upon waking last weekend, I felt an unnameable sadness, uncharacteristic for my usually optimistic self. It seemed like grief associated with geography. I imagined it must be my continual longing for the verdant land of the Pacific Northwest, a place I have called “home” for more than twenty-five years. 

That evening I saw a huge fire-cloud: smoke from yet another nearby wildfire. I snapped a photo and then went home. Suddenly I heard from within me:

Ohhh! I’m grieving the drought!

This was a shocking and powerful recognition.

I know that I have embodied grief about the earth before: I felt sorrow about the clear cut forests of Washington; I felt sorrow one year ago when a huge temblor shook our nerves and broke our homes. I felt sorrow when I first visited Yellowstone during the huge blaze of 1988. I feel sorrow each time I encounter tangled-in-plastics sea species, housing developments where fields or groves once thrived, malls near protected areas. And many, many other earth sorrows. But today’s sorrow, unexpectedly sharp as it arrives in my inner landscape, is about the desiccated land of California being consumed by ravenous wildfires hungry for the tinder of dead grasses.

I could easily return to the Pacific Northwest.

And, I have a place right now in this beautiful-but-desperately-thirsty land.

I can feel my heart break at the sight of brown, smoky skies and the eerie, fluorescent red of the sun…I can feel it in my parched emotional landscape as an abider in nature, as a seeker of stillness and silence beside creeks-oceans-under forest canopies-atop mountains-on hiking trails with my face upturned to the sun and my hands resting firmly on grass, bark, sand, mud. I love this gentle and fierce, pulsating and beating, breathing earth. Her winds and waterfalls. Her mountains and meadows. It is my supreme delight to rest upon, move across, ponder deeply, and breathe in the Air.Fire.Water.Earth of this planet.

But her parched dusty skin frightens me.

I will love her, no matter; she is my strength and my soul-aesthetic. I will offer her beauty in the form of reverent words, soul ponderings, blessings, and altars in her sacred outdoor places. I will caress her with hands firmly laid upon her grasses, moist or dried out. I will conserve-water-beyond-usual. I will remember each time what a blessing it is to shower or wash hands. I will honor that which still grows and thrives in dried-out-beyond-recognition landscapes.

And I will honor the drought by being true to my grief.





All blog images created & photographed by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted. Please circulate images with photo credit: "©2016 JenniferJWilhoit/TEALarbor stories. AllRightsReserved."