Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, September 9, 2016

Conversation with the Young Coyote

You come into the yard,
Along the stream’s edge
Sniffing
Watching
You don’t carry yourself stealthily
But sometimes what looks like “frisky”:
Front left paw bent out at an angle
Is, perhaps, Stealth in disguise?

I know you’re a “He”
You look directly in my eyes
Unabashedly, deeply,
One pane of glass
And seven yards of grass
Are all that separate us

Oh, I’ve seen You before
Several months ago
You followed this same path on the edge of the lawn,
But then You were headed north,
Not south as You are now.
And hey, weren’t You the little one
Who crossed the road before me in the darkened street
One
Night
last month?
I saw You.
Yes. 
As I paused in the middle of my paved road -
The asphalt that bisected your woodsy journey -
I watched You
Watching me,
Halted
Yes, we looked each other in the eyes that time, too!

Your kin who dashed headlong into the woods
Adjacent to my cottage,
That was not You;
That coyote was bigger,
Older,
Wearing the scrawny over-thin body and
Too-thin fur
Not You, little one.
You look fresh and new.
Your body has grown bigger since last we met
But your fur is thick
Luxuriously clean:
You do not look underfed

Are You eating those chickens again?
I eat chicken sometimes, too; though I cook mine
Or is it the rabbits You prefer?
“Rodents,” You say?
“Well, which ones?” I ask.
Do You actually taste the difference or
Is the fullness of your belly your simple criterion?

You are coyote.
Not the wily one
Of my cartooned youth
Instead, You are the one who visits
And your presence offers me joy

Wild One with daily routines –
On the few occasions they’ve coincided with mine,
Bring me great pleasure
I hear You, perhaps, and your pack
Howling,
I see your scat scattered all over the adjacent forest

Please come visit again:
This is my mantra –

I welcome You

(revised version of, “Ode to the Young Coyote,” posted 16 Sept 2011)



All blog images created & photographed by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted. Please circulate images with photo credit: "©2016 JenniferJWilhoit/TEALarbor stories. AllRightsReserved."