Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, October 7, 2016

Counting Some of My Blessings

Yesterday morning I had a wonderfully loving conversation with my dear friend-collaborator. I expressed concern for his and his wife’s safety in the Hurricane Matthew surge. He offered reassurances.

That already counts as at least six blessings: waking up, a loving friend, commitment to work together, deep communication, love that is big enough for concern, love that is big enough for assurance.

Toward the end of our conversation, I happened to look out the far window and saw a flash of red in the yellowing apple tree in our backyard. Then I saw the telltale huge bill and black/white feathers. A pileated woodpecker (a guy of a species with whom I have been well acquainted for decades) has never landed in our apple tree. I watched him bob and hop, excitedly reporting the sighting to my friend on the other side of Skype.

Add at least three more blessings: visit from Pileated in a way he has never arrived before, the beauty of his red crest and contrasting feather colors, being able to share it with my friend-at-a-distance.

I made my weekly hospice visit to a very open-hearted woman.
Just before that I met with a client who is really on the upswing with great opportunities.
And just before that, I had a compelling call with my writing partner.

That is so very much more than three more blessings.

All the while, I was watching the wind tousle leaves and branches; clouds gather, scatter, reform, and drip. I noticed dozens of trees on my usual-traveled pathways that have gradations from olive green to yellow to orange to red…hundreds of combinations. Actually, I was stopped in my tracks upon seeing a few of these tree individuals: random pull-overs in order to take a photo; or a long, deep inhalation at the gaspingly beautiful leaves; I, the recipient of odd looks in the middle of parking lots, as I smiled up at trees. I had oddly lovely conversations with total strangers as I ran errands. I noticed how the piles of spilled cat litter in my exceedingly clean car (because the bag I just purchased had broken open on the seat - cascading down into the narrow crack next to the console) became a forty-minute-clean-up opportunity for patience and gratitude. And then in the darkness of three in the morning, I was awakened by the sounds of torrential rain and rackety winds; I smiled again as I pulled the covers up to my chin.

Blessings?: I’ve lost count!



All blog images created & photographed by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted. Please circulate images with photo credit: "©2016 JenniferJWilhoit/TEALarbor stories. AllRightsReserved."