Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, October 28, 2016

I just don’t know how to explain…

my love for autumn…

driving to see a hospice patient today, I am suddenly struck by the slant of sunlight across some still-yellow maple leaves. “euphoria” is not too strong a word for the feeling that arises in my gut.

while writing to a client-friend, I notice that a soft rain pelts the window - behind which is a blurred image of a dainty, ballerina-esque orange and green-leafed tree. I notice that I am smiling.

walking through the kitchen, I hear behind the closed front door the bamboo chimes tinkling in the wind; I sway ever so slightly with delight.

drying off my beloved dog after her potty break outside, I catch the mingling scents of fall:  wind, cedar, wood smoke, wet grass, mud, decaying leaves; I hug her closely, whisper love messages in her furry old ear, thank her for wearing autumn.

in a daily email of nature images, I see the epic black and white photo of Roosevelt and Muir in Yosemite in autumn. I enlarge the image, stare closely in, feel gratitude for their inspired service, and wonder how I can be so moved by an old image I’ve seen dozens of times.

fanning the smoke of the burning frankincense stick toward my nose in the blackness before dawn, I feel the whisper of a leaf that I watched float high through the air over my neighbor’s roof the other day; I feel peace.

…and I’m not sure I will ever be able to “explain” the inexplicable, delicious, recurring, miraculous gift of nature’s seasons. for it is not, after all, a “head” thing anyway; it is a “love, faith, inspiration” thing.





All blog images created & photographed by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted. Please circulate images with photo credit: "©2016 JenniferJWilhoit/TEALarbor stories. AllRightsReserved."