Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, January 6, 2017

Roots

I’m thinking now about tree roots, and cement sidewalks [from my childhood] in the process of being broken by the natural growth of the roots.

There was an unpleasant chore in my family when I was growing up; it involved using a hoe to scrape the “weeds” (beautiful green growing things) from the cracks in the driveway and concrete decks around our house. I believe we were all assigned this task from time to time; but as the youngest child capable of outdoor yard work and the one with less time on the planet to learn more complex tasks as my older siblings had, I imagine I took more frequent turns with the cement weeding. I remember asking about it: “But why would we want to make the living plants go away? I think they’re pretty, Mommy.” Alas, there were grown up answers to my get-out-of-the-chore, but also ecobaby-true-for-me, queries.

The tree roots were another impediment to smooth cement surfaces in my childhood; giant liquidambar roots, ecstatic to live in such a friendly climate, would stretch, strengthen, spread until eventually they reached beyond the small dirt patch to which they were confined (between sidewalk and curb). Their bountiful growth over time slowly uplifted the sidewalk, cracked the curb.

I was delighted by this! The mud worlds-within-caverns in between shards of cracked concrete sidewalks were a treasure trove of insect, plant, rock, and shadowed life of all sorts. Even pudgy fingers could wiggle down in to extract some frightful pleasure. The natural world was laid bare, open, “unearthed” for me.

What in my life is so beautifully rooted, growing, and thriving that its natural branching out, its innate reach for a broader space for nourishment and abidance, is powerful enough to crack open resistance? Is my gratitude robust enough to flourish in this manner? What constitutes the solid barrier in my life through which gratefulness can break free?: circumstances, perhaps? fear or oppression that my natural, healthy corpus, or spirit, or tiramisu-layered emotional life is stifled by, held under the might of those circumstances, just as the cement—for a time—impedes the tree roots?

What in your life flourishes? What holds you back from that natural tendency to spread yourself widely and beautifully into the light of the world?

Yes, let us emulate all those luscious grass-y, clover-y cement-dwellers and the honorable liquidambar!

Journal entry 1.6.17



All blog images created & photographed by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted. Please circulate images with photo credit: "©2017 JenniferJWilhoit/TEALarbor stories. AllRightsReserved."