Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, February 10, 2017

Beauty and Connection = Comfort for the Soul

For me, this is how it works. I experience something beautiful and my soul is comforted. I feel a deep connection with someone or something and I am soothed. 

This week I have sought the nourishing waters of refreshment for my spirit through:

Low tide walks on the pebbled beach
Pointing out to a boisterous two-year-old the rising, huge, orange, wet-paint, full moon and watching him pause and then loudly proclaim, “Moon!”
Collecting stones that are encircled with layers of other types of rock: each brings together two disparate halves into a whole
Being followed by the rainbow that straddled Puget Sound a few days ago
Watching the clouds dance with the now-waning moon, obscuring and revealing the brightly-lit ball like a game of cosmic hide and seek
Hearing, noticing, photographing, standing in awe of two mating bald eagles high in the Douglas firs during my repeated visits to the water’s edge
Laughing until my stomach hurt 

It is in these events, the everyday happenings in the course of life, that we are healed. It is how we are made whole again after the inevitable wrenchings, tearings, riftings, shiftings that are the changeability of our lives. These simple things add up to a short list. The effort of compiling the list is an act of gratitude, of peacemaking, of surrender to this Life that is.

It is also a way to honor the sacred that is part of our everyday.

The “big stuff” just happens; we can count on that…it comes in shapes and sizes that fit, and others that are grossly oversized or minute and cramped. But the healing (“whole-making”) comes as we allow the little things to impact us over and over again.

I would rather not wait for that one huge moment that I can unmistakably identify as a “Miracle.” Instead, I would rather count the small things—those things we call “ordinary”—as the healers and miracles of my life. I may or may not see the “burning bush.” But surely the cycles of day and night, seasons, disease and death and laughter, beautiful stones and simple conversations, movement and breath will continue to flow in and out of my life each day; it is these I embrace! 

[Excerpt from a post five years ago today; just as relevant now as then.]

Spot the two bald eagles. 




All blog images created & photographed by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted. Please circulate images with photo credit: "©2017 JenniferJWilhoit/TEALarbor stories. AllRightsReserved."