Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, August 25, 2017

92%

The solar eclipse over the U.S. this week really was nothing like I expected.

Up at the usual 5 AM, the morning started out pretty foggy—one of the thickest over recent weeks … My mood became increasingly deflated as the hours closed in on the start of the eclipse.

I knew I had to come to peace and honor the once-in-a-lifetime eclipse even if I could see nothing from my vantage point under the grounded clouds; so I began the inner work to do so. Somehow, I was able to ease open a little spaciousness within, including a plan to just spend time outside for the duration of the eclipse: observing nature, celebrating transition, abiding in the beauty of what was rather than longing for something I couldn’t have.

Then, very literally, thirty-five minutes before the onset of the eclipse, the fog began to quickly thin. Three minutes later I could see a shiny-white, lit ball through the haze; exactly six minutes before the moon began its journey between us and the sun, the lower atmosphere completely cleared up. A deep royal blue sky painted itself across my vision.

I had become serene as I moved into the earlier recognition of invisibility. But then the gift of a wide-open expanse of vision out to space became the once-in-a-lifetime gift!

The rest was just icing on the cake, pure delight, as we experienced:

* the awe! of using eclipse glasses and seeing the first notch bitten from the sun orb at 9:20 AM
* a noticeable temperature drop so that T-shirt weather turned to sweatshirt weather, and back again
* an eerie and unexpected darkness inside the house (when we entered briefly to check on our pets)
* the slightly darker dusky feel outside as the moon reached its full 92% blockage of the sun
* every shadow taking on an eclipse shape, varying per the moon’s transit
* a rising breeze, the one we welcome and recognize as the herald of dusk
* the seemingly sudden return to bright midday as if something phenomenal had not just occurred!

My next-door neighbors helped us celebrate by bringing out “breakfast” at 10:40: homemade blackberry ice cream from the fruit-laden bushes edging our yard.

I do truly believe I would’ve been at peace had the fog not lifted; the fine surrender to now-as-it-shows-up came before the blessed clearing.

That said, I am totally enthralled with this truly wondrous experience … 92% is great!






All blog images created & photographed by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted. Please circulate images with photo credit: "©2017 JenniferJWilhoit/TEALarbor stories. AllRightsReserved."