Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, January 26, 2018

Windows into Nature

I chat with my neighbor about a particularly beautiful moss-covered tree at the edge of our property. An hour later, I casually snap a photograph out the window to test out the iPad camera; I am surprised to notice that the tree we’d been talking about is framed in the picture. Less than thirty minutes later, as I lazily stare outside, I see the very tree from our conversation—the tree featured in the photo—uproot and topple to the ground from a huge wind gust! It is a moment of reverent awe and ecstatic serendipity: the power of nature takes down the tree suddenly and unexpectedly, but I have unwittingly preserved the tree through the act of photographing it.

*     *     *

I walk outside in the black night of torrential rain. I catch a glimpse of a faint light and realize that the moon is visible through a veil of rain. As I look up, I see constellations playing hide and seek behind dark panels of swift-moving clouds. Instantly, Earth and firmament reverse themselves and I am peering down into the blackness inside a magician’s box—the only thing I can see is a shining sprawl of gems.

*     *     *

A friend eagerly introduces me to a new forest trail. The torrential rain has continued into our late morning hike and we are soaked head to toe within a few minutes. We talk, laugh, and marvel at the pathside trees and ferns. At the end of the trail is an opening onto a beach, right then flooded to high tide. A window to the sea, the opening is framed on two sides and the top by a canopy of alders and firs.

*     *     *

I am sharing with a client on Skype how creating beauty in nature is a means for infusing inspiration into the stifled parts of our writing. I glance out my window and see a Steller’s jay feasting on the suet I just tucked into the feeder. As the client unfolds tales of a praying mantis and hummingbirds outside his writer’s retreat, I look out my window again and notice a kaleidoscope of birds at my feeder: several northern flickers, a couple more jays, a few dozen juncos, a male and female downy woodpecker pair, and a gorgeously-plumed little guy I can’t identify. I sense that my client has invoked this avian menagerie in my yard via his excited recounting of intimate experiences with nature.





All blog images created & photographed by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted. Please circulate images with photo credit: "©2018 JenniferJWilhoit/TEALarbor stories. AllRightsReserved."