Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, March 2, 2018

Nurse Logs in Moss Garden

I stood, transfixed. The thick moss mesmerized me.

I was without thought.
Without words.
Without aim.

The carpet of moss had cast a spell on my heart. It had caught me unaware and gently ushered me into deep presence.

I was faintly aware of a cold breeze on the exposed skin of my face and hands. I reflexively tucked my fists into the flannel of my coat pockets.

And I just became still.

Still within.
Still mind.
I was without a task, agenda, deadline.

My eyes caressed the scene, roaming right to left, left to right.
Across lumps and bumps.
Over textures and colors.

Then my brain kicked in. I realized that I was eyeing a nurse log: a downed tree whose decay provides rich nutrients for other life.

Upon which ferns sprout.
Along which moss spreads.

And I began to think, later at home, about what “nursing” means:

Care.
Tenderness.
Nurturance.
Healing.
Support.

A seeking for quietude. An abidance with all life. A restoration to wholeness.

*    *    *

That ol’ nurse log lying there so mossy and sprouty just seemed to find a home within me. It’s still there now offering a haven of life in the center of the garden—though nighttime has passed and I am inside at home the next day—and it’s still there now in the moist garden of my heart growing all sorts of verdant surprises.






All blog images created & photographed by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted. Please circulate images with photo credit: "©2018 JenniferJWilhoit/TEALarbor stories. AllRightsReserved."