Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, January 18, 2019

Painting with Boughs

I did a rain meditation this morning, sitting outside in a damp rocker. My bare, wet feet felt too chilled, at first, in the forty-two-degree morning; soon they adjusted, or I forgot about them.

And I went into a sweet reverie as I gazed up at the luscious ring of trees edging our property:

            What would it be like to borrow -
            
            that alder treetop over there – the leafless, ever-more branching one – to paint across a 
giant canvas? would it produce an arteries-and-veins pattern, the very image of the human circulatory system?

the hemlock with its curved tip? might it be capable of marking feather patterns through paint across a page?

one of the Douglas fir cones? any chance that “mouse tail” shape would arrive intact as prints along paper?

might a hunk of pigment-drenched moss mimic fur as it touches paper?

or would lichen reimagine itself as splotches with negative-space holes?

what inside of us – in the very deepest recesses of this Earthly body – would likewise arrive as painted markings on the page? 

As I walked back indoors, I remembered the orizomegami class I took three days ago - 

my thrill at the unpredictable ways the colors saturated and arranged themselves on the 
folded-and-paint-dipped paper!

And in that small memory, I felt the indelible patterns of the natural world painted across the walls of my bones.



All blog images created & photographed by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted. Please circulate images with photo credit: "©2019 JenniferJWilhoit/TEALarbor stories. AllRightsReserved."