Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, November 20, 2015

Every Year

Every year I say it, and every year - especially around Thanksgiving - I write it:
I am grateful.

Maybe I say it every day; sometimes I hear myself express gratitude a number of times in a single day. Yesterday - after writing some portion of this blog post, I heard myself recounting to somebody how I often write about gratitude…not exactly an expression of gratefulness in and of itself, but a reflection or echo of how it is alive in my life.

I don’t mind being accused of repetition.

It doesn’t bother me to be seen as overzealous.

My feelings aren’t hurt when someone tells me they’ve had enough of this “gratitude stuff.”

It does seem as if I’m becoming a gratitudephile. A lover of gratefulness. One who adores the notion and practice of feeling the fat round letters of “G” roll off my tongue, no matter the month. No matter the circumstance. No matter the audience.

I cannot not be grateful today. Even a few days ago when I admitted feeling less than terrific, a bit grumpy, a bit sullen, a bit too sick of all that we like to say - from time to time - we’re sick of. Even that day I could feel a twinge of gratitude, like a splinter almost, grow into a wide shining savior of a thing inside me: “Oh, yeah, this all okay. Oh yes, right. All this stuff I feel that feels yucky is just fleeting. What’s deeper and more abiding is the rightness of fluctuation.”

Does every day show up like I want it to? Not really. Do I show up every day like I want to? Not really. But at the clean core of the façade of feelings is something more eternal, more tangible even: the breath that I inhale in this now of life. How can I do anything other than chant, cry, pray, giggle, yell, whisper, croak, or sigh my gratefulness for this one tiny life that I have the great privilege of inhabiting?

So, every year in the month of November I allow myself to go a bit deeper into the conversation about gratitude. But I cannot do so without the other eleven months, those other forty eight weeks or three hundred thirty odd days, moving my lips, my body, into or nearer the most genuine act of gratitude I can muster for the day.

Gratitude is not a denial of the dark and bone-splitting chill of the vicissitudes of life; it is an embrace of them. Change equals gratitude. Every day. Every year.




All blog images created & photographed by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted. Please circulate images with photo credit: "©2015 JenniferJWilhoit/TEALarbor stories. AllRightsReserved."