Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, November 6, 2015

Windstorm (of Gratitude)

My life feels a little bit like a windstorm right now. There’s an abundance of rich earthy matter aloft on broad planes of ever-shifting currents.

It is invigorating. Beautiful. Intense, in a calming sort of way. And a bit unsettling, even as I root deeper.

Winds of change, opportunity, missed chances, and bright futures.

The normally clear and uncluttered surface of my desk is littered with moss-gathering messes and pooled projects. Scattered scrap notes of needy tasks remind me of the small yellow leaves that have covered the deck since last weekend’s bluster in the natural landscape.

I had a dream two nights ago that I danced in the rain in my best clothes outside a formal gathering place. People watched - slightly alarmed, highly dubious. In an unrealistic few seconds, characteristic of the dream world, I was utterly drenched…smiling…free. And I serenely walked toward the door to enter.

Three nights ago a deer showed up in my dream landscape, the cougar’s favorite prey.

I had a dream last night that a cougar kept arriving in the yard. Furtive, watchful, and – paradoxically - in easy collaboration with me. Our interspecies predator/prey potential dismissed in favor of communion in nature.

The electronic bones of former computers and phones – an odd find while searching for old photographs last weekend – also inhabit the landscape of my working space. Entangled with these is the decomposing three-versions-ago manuscript detritus.

The in-basket is sorted and the plants have been fed…emotional and aesthetic stanchions of beauty, life, vigor.  

I am not getting too much of the dust of schedule changes in my eyes. Every now and then, though, a small particle briefly irritates the corner of my eye but is then carried away by the watery tear whose job it is to cleanse.

The wind fills me with laughter, sometimes hysterical.

All I can do is steady myself moment by moment, seek refuge from the gusts by sheltering my shoulder against the autumn tree trunk, remain open to the shifts in pressure, step back into the breeze for another spin.

This is not “bad news” despite the interruptions to an apparently-false sense of stability. Stability is not unlike gratitude: neither are conditional, by their very definitions. They live at the core, they breathe the fires of passion, they show us how we are tethered to something much more like firmament than filament.


All blog images created & photographed by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted. Please circulate images with photo credit: "©2015 JenniferJWilhoit/TEALarbor stories. AllRightsReserved."