Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, February 26, 2021

Amazing Sky


I was pulling out of the Safeway parking lot at the end-of-day rush hour. 

 

Tired, and a bit grumpy (I admit), I made my left turn and proceeded up the road. I knew I needed a little refreshment; I was thinking that a forbidden food might be nice…a gooey, warm chocolate chip cookie; an inch of whipped cream atop a short, half-caff mocha; a hot, greasy eggroll, even. I denied myself, kept driving away from the stores offering such temptations.

 

And as soon as I made the next right-hand turn, three roads from home, I saw my treat: 

 

the wide expanse of sky opened up and I could immediately see a collage of color! 

 

…nearly a baker’s dozen of distinct, nameable hues thickly painted the sky: pear gold, silver, peach, slate gray, bright blue, milk-white, cream, dark ash, baby blue, lavender, the barest touch of rose…I couldn’t begin to quantify or name the many shades of paler or darker variations in color made by thicker clouds, thinner accumulation, sunbeams that illuminated particular areas…

 

And I stopped. Literally. On the side of the road. And I said aloud to nobody in particular, “Thank you!” as I gazed up at the most unexpected and ordinary-take-it-for-granted-sight: the firmament above. 

 

An ordinary-seeming day. A spectacular gift.






(Orig. posted in Feb 2017)



All blog images created & photographed by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted. Please circulate images with photo credit: "©2021 Jennifer J. Wilhoit/TEALarbor stories. All Rights Reserved."