Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, August 11, 2023

Parliament of the World’s Religions 2023 Convening

I leave tomorrow for the 2023 Parliament of the World’s Religions in Chicago with ten thousand others, from eighty nations and more than two hundred diverse spiritual traditions. Along with several hundred other speakers, I’m presenting my work. 

 

I am VERY excited to attend the Parliament again this year. I attended and presented for the first time in Salt Lake City for the 2015 convening. I was ready to go in 2018 (Ontario) but my mom had just been put on hospice service, so of course I canceled. And then I attended and presented in 2021, but because of COVID we convened online. 

 

Being there in person is such a powerful experience! There is a pervasive spirit of peace, harmony, compassion, and learning from one another that imbues every meeting, every session, every religious observance, every interaction.

 

The plenaries are rich with wisdom from international luminaries including Dr. Jane Goodall, Dr. Jean Shinoda Bolen, Ta’Kaiya Blaney, Elder Major “Moogy” Sumner, Grandmother Mary Lyons, Rabbi Alon Goshen-Gottstein, Dharma Master Hsin Tao, Bhai Sahib Bhai Mohinder Singh Ahluwalia OBE KSG, Rev. James Lawson, Karenna Gore, Charline Manuel, and so many more! You can follow the major speakers and program here.  

 

I will also get to spend time with people I know (and some of whom I have not yet met in person) from the Charter for Compassion, in classes I’ve taught through the Compassion Education Institute, as well as with colleagues and friends.

 

There are art exhibits, sacred fires, sacred spaces for every faith tradition, booths and bookstores (and yes, I’m selling my books there), a film festival, community events, a parade of faiths, temples, sacred yurts, a labyrinth, assemblies… The colors and textures of these gatherings fill and inspire me! 

 

And I would be remiss if I didn’t mention my excitement about langar – the beautiful gift of complimentary, delicious, vegetarian lunch prepared and offered by the Sikh community every day of the Parliament. I’m so grateful for this daily feast and all the hard work that goes into feeding thousands of people! 

 

Here’s my write-up in the Parliament program…slotted for 4:30 PM (Central Time) on Thursday 17th.

 

“The Interconnection of Rights: Humans and the Environment in Sacred Relationship” 

 

My workshop focuses on how humans and the natural environment are bound to one another for survival, with the rights of both interdependent upon the other. We will look at examples such as humans’ right to clean air, water, or food and how the environment also benefits from these rights. Using the lens of Spiritual Ecology, participants will have opportunities to explore together how we can fuse our environmental work with our human rights pursuits as well as our spiritual endeavors toward transformative change within our unique and inspired niches.  The program is designed so that participants are guided through the various activities along with question/answer, sharing, and discussion. This is not a sectarian offering; it is intended to support people of all faiths in finding and deepening their own relationship to self, nature, and others through peaceable, interdisciplinary practices that they create consistent with their specific beliefs. 

 

Please keep an eye on my social media links for updates on proceedings in the coming days…FacebookTwitterLinkedIn.