Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, October 6, 2023

Bear Prints

Update: I scheduled the following post (below the dotted line) over a week ago. It is a piece from my blog archives, originally posted in October 2021. But I'm excited to add this update of very recent events.  


Over the past few weeks, I have made many discoveries of bear scat piles on the roads and driveway adjacent to my home. 


Two days ago, I had a close "encounter" with Bear. Early in the morning, I went to the north-facing window to open the blind. It was just before first light and difficult to see anything outside in the dark. But for some reason, I lingered there with my nose pressed to the pane. I said quietly, "Bear, where are you? I really want to see you." I had a very strong feeling that she was nearby but I could not penetrate the darkness or catch any movement. 


Later that day while doing an outside chore, I saw a large, very fresh, fruit-filled pile of black bear scat on my driveway just twenty feet from that very same window! It had not been there the evening before. 


I'm not certain exactly when Bear got so close to where I stood inside calling for her. It likely was not after first light that morning. It could have been while I slept the night before. But that uncertainly leaves open the possibility that she was visiting precisely when I felt her, invited her to come, asked her to reveal herself to me. 


And this is a thrill!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There have been many things to appreciate in nature this week. But the most marvelous just might be yesterday’s excursion to the far side of the property where the sandy, unused horse arena has become the message board for wild creatures. 

 

We have noticed more and more bear scat in various places around the property. 

 

It led me to the vast stretch of sand during a work break yesterday; what I found the moment I stepped inside the gate was a plethora of tracks covering every square foot of the large arena. Carefully stepping only on vegetation – in a grand effort to avoid messing up the tracks – I began to see the footfalls of many creatures. 

 

Deer. Very obviously there have been deer. Double oblong shapes…

 

Rabbit. A few tracks showed the scampering bunnies on our property…and round pellets in small mounds, their after-meal offering back to the soil…

 

Coyote. Hair, fur, and bones-littered scat as well as “dog-like” prints. Though the dogs around here are not permitted inside the gated area…

 

Bear! The imprint of digits and the underside of the widespread front paw, claw pinpoints, and a size that seemed quite unbelievable - about six inches wide…

 

Then a wider search for scat revealed even more bear droppings. Essentially, the entire yard, including the nearby pear tree, was littered with bear poop. 

 

I couldn’t be more excited! 

 

Reminding myself that black bears are primarily crepuscular, I have been noticing the twilights with greater awe and enthusiasm. 

 

This morning while my coffee was brewing, I went to the front door and stared out into the blackness before first light. I lifted my arms, pressed my nose against the glass in an effort to see out into the dark yard, and called for the bear. I asked him to come gently, to allow us to see him but to recognize how small and weak we are in comparison. I told him we intend no harm and are happy to cohabitate in this place and time. 

 

And expectantly I wait…