Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, September 27, 2024

Creative Collaboration #6

Fellow interfaith practitioner, island neighbor, spiritual poet extraordinaire, and – best of all – friend, Emily decided a year and a half ago to write a few poems that she paired with my visual creative work. We’re thrilled to be collaborating in this way, and we’ve continued into 2024. We want to share our work with you again. This is our sixth pairing. 

When Emily gifted this poem to me the other day, she said, “This image of yours, although not an octopus, visually stimulated this poem about sentience…


 

Sentience**

By EmilyJane Mockett

 

Octopi flit & float

In seas of consciousness 

Merging insight of touch

Flushing through them

As if inks touch to page

Casting words to mind

Seeps into hearts space

From sensations beyond

The ocean we swim

Oh octopi

How I understand your

Curious ways of knowing—

Clairsentience

Oh how I didn’t have words

As a child for this

This creep, sweep, 

flushing, brushing

Of colors in my belly

Filling me with fluidity

Insight of Divine creativity 

Flitting & floating 

my feelings of Aliveness

Oh octopi how I wish 

to ask you to dance with me, 

in squirts of purple

leaps of indigo

Deep diving with spirits unseen

 

** noun. the state or quality of being sentient; awareness. sense perception not involving intelligence or mental perception; feeling.