Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, May 25, 2012

Spaciousness and Renewal

Four Robin Chicks:  Spacious Enough

From journal, 22 May 2012:
As I sat down here, I fell into the spaciousness of my life. Really, it is one large bookshelf, a bed, two coffee tables, one small kitchen appliance, a spice rack, two-drawer file cabinet and a few other smaller items that I sold last night. Yet this place, my life, feels more spacious. Bigger with the reduction of material goods. I told somebody last night:  “When I moved in here three years ago, I offloaded stuff and got down to only those items I really love in my house. Now I’m seeing if I can ‘love less!’” 


Layered in Pieces:  The Perfect Nest

From journal, 24 May 2012:
Just take it piece by piece, bit by bit. This is how I really need to live life these days. Which also takes me to a deeper residence/residing place within – a place where larger patterns emerge and this “grander scheme of things” helps me to move and remember that there is so much more crucial, deep, significant, meaningful things to focus on…Matters of the heart, for one. Spirit. Divinity. Grace. Creativity. Service. Humility. Bigger pictures, schemas. I am opening to a vast landscape; this is the truth of my experience right now. I can scarcely fathom it. I can feel the largeness of life coming toward and filling me – like an ocean wave. But I am not tousled by it, just baptized once again.

Transformation

From journal, 25 May 2012:
I ran into [two dear acquaintances] yesterday and the day before, people for whom I was the hospice volunteer. They both indicated happiness at seeing me. How can that be? I always figure I will be a poignant reminder of a hard time, a person whose face is best forgotten – a painful memory stuffed into the crannies where the trivia around loss gets to live. Instead, I am greeted with smiles and hugs. Grief had not taken their spirits. Whatever of loss had worn them out, they had refreshed. One bore a new smile, a new body, a vigor for life. It was beautiful – absolutely stunning - the transformation from grief, mourning, loss to a more youthful, buoyant being on the planet, engaged and loving family.

Renewal

Loving beloved material goods less, focusing on intimate connection with others, opening to whatever the moment brings – loss or renewal, allowing the spirals of this life to journey through us, letting go of the clouds in the mind and opening our eyes to this moment’s spring glory:  spring green leaves in millions blowing against the steady backdrop of sea blue sky. It is not the question: “Can we do this?” Rather, it is the practice of how. Allowing everything to become spacious (which requires relinquishing a hold on control), stepping up to what is before us, will lead us anew to the honest possibilities of our lives.

Sunrise,  20 May 2012






All blog photographs taken by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted.