Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, June 1, 2012

Snapshots



What else can I call them but “snapshots”? We have these moments in our life when time becomes so irrelevant it is almost irreverent to even think about it.


 * * *
Before leaving my home, a photographer friend asks me to stand in my red shirt against a rainbow-stitched weaving from Guatemala so she can take a picture of me to put in her phone. At the last instant, I become a self-conscious teenager again and make the same gaping, open-mouthed expression of delighted surprise. It’s a hideous photograph. My friend says it makes her smile.


The wind suddenly comes, unannounced and with no warning. The thin lower branches on the tree are shaking, shivering, almost bowing. It reminds me of the Japanese tradition of greeting:  to bow lower, in alternating rhythm again and again, always trying to pay deeper homage, more respect, to the other.



I gently place my hand atop my new hospice patient’s as I tell her I’ll come back to visit another day. She grabs my hand with both of hers and holds on tightly despite the papery frailty of her bird-like fingers. She beams a smile, wide and bright, through my eyes and into my soul.


I hold a humongous red poppy in my two hands, cupped like the caress of a lover. I feel the nighttime’s rain on the waxy/papery petals. I rub my finger on the inside of the petal and the purple powder comes off, wet like paint on my finger. I can write a book with that deep, black-purple ink.


I see her dash, my Sage – dog of all chasiness. Far down the wet-pebbled beach she goes in order to play with the river otter she sees bobbing up and down in the small windy waviness of the Sound, a few yards from shore. That otter teases her - coming closer, backing up – testing my dog’s apparent resolve never to dog paddle except in emergencies. I silently thank that part of my dog that prevents her from remembering she knows how to swim.



A red flash! I gasp. The sapsucker. Back again this year. He darts to the thin alder, second tree in from the edge of the road. A while later I am driving:  a robin flies horizontal to my path, fast enough to avoid my windshield…but only by a few inches. I gasp again.


A friend says “hug me again” when I come to visit her at work. She is telling me about the “senseless” murder of her coworker, a mother of two young children. Her eyes fill with tears and I wonder why they don’t spill out down her cheek, soaking her shirt, making a river that runs out the open warehouse door behind her.
 * * *


Re-member your own moments this week, the ones that stood still in the busy fray of your day. Reweave one of those memories back into the fullness of your life by giving it attention, cherishing it, seeing how it is your experience because of the unique way in which you responded. Never count how long it lasted. Honor it by the sweetness of remembering.  





All blog photographs taken by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted.