Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, June 8, 2012

Pause




I hear loud crow caws in the wee morning hours. As I look out the window, a flicker lands on the roof slope. The yelling crow lunges; the flicker flies off. None of us have had an ounce of caffeine (yet).

Someone at an academic institution composes an unambiguous, generic rejection note with four passive voice sentences in the single paragraph. The correspondence lacks a salutation, an addressee, and a signee. I wonder: Who rejects whom? And why is it such a passive affair?

I’ve just journalled half a sentence about finding equanimity in adversity. Out of the corner of my eye I see a dark familiar form lumbering overhead, in flight. As it passes directly over the top of my cottage – northwest to southeast – I see it is a heron, low…low enough to perch on the roof. Some people believe herons are a symbol of balance, progress, the ability to evolve.


The sapsucker has returned now, too, to the well-polka-dotted tree lining the pond at the local park. Gone all winter. Back. I quickly, repeatedly, snap a few photos. I forget, for a minute, to just stop my “capture-the-moment” activity so that I can take it into my heart. I remind myself that next time I will just watch.

I read this email from a loved one:  “So the morning after Ray Bradbury passes, it's announced that where we once built space ships, there shall be another retail project. We used to reach for the planets. Now we reach for ourselves.” (R.A.M.) I am stunned at the profoundness of this statement. The poignant truth of it. I want to write essays and books and chapters and volumes about it. I find only silence within.  

My hands are resting on wet grass. Wet-leaved trees above begin to make a crackling sound in the breeze; no rain falls from the sky yet the tree rains anyway. I hear these words: “Join with the earth. Not a fight, a collaboration toward wholeness.” 



All blog photographs taken by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted.