Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, December 13, 2013

Romance and Tradition


I am seeing Christmas trees all around me – firs and pines, decorated, lit. There is an ungroundedness, a tension, an uneasiness that rises to the surface as I notice the glimmer and extravaganza of this holiday season. It’s a conflict really: some long-buried feeling of holiday romance and delight bubbles up and abrades the now-present landscape of my values and practices that have completely abandoned all those holiday traditions.

Probably taken by our mom, circa 1968.
My entire childhood was measured and counted by holidays…the Big Day itself; the build-up of anticipation for the special occasion; the let down afterward; and the long, barren stretches of ordinary daily life in between the festive moments. Our home was amply decorated for each one of these times – Halloween skeletons and pumpkins, birthday streamers, Thanksgiving turkeys and cornucopias, Easter baskets, Valentines Day hearts and candy, Fourth of July flags and pinwheels. And, of course, the really big one: Christmas, replete with -
a glistening tree of decorations and lights always set in front of
        the large picture window in the living room,
brightly-colored, foil mobiles that hung from the three 
        doorways in the front entryway,
a nativity scene on the living room table,
a light-up old fashioned village with cotton snow on the 
         mantel,
stockings hung above the fireplace,
snowmen, santas, reindeer, bells, candy, candles,
the Christmas table centerpiece of little circling tin angels who 
         were animated by candles,
and a paper Santa Claus – nearly life size – who hung on the outside of our front door.

I cherished the winter holidays and felt the romance of the traditions my family put together and followed year after year during my childhood. My little brother with extraordinary memorization skills would recite by heart The Night Before Christmas each Christmas eve just before we went to bed. We would line up in a vertical row, one child per step, on the stairs early on Christmas morning, calling to my mother: “Merr-y Christ- - -mas!” with increasing volume until she signaled we could come into the family room to open stockings. There were the usual holiday parties with friends, singing, and an overabundance of delicious foods. But on Christmas day it was just our family and mountains of gifts…

Then I left home and took with me a rebellion for all of the holiday traditions. For the thirty years since shutting the door to my childhood home for the last time, I have not spent more than two Christmases in a row at the same location, with the same people, or engaging in the same activity. I have had a few Christmases totally by myself.

I’m not exactly a Grinch, but I have come to know so well that ache that lingered each year at holiday time: it was both a grief for the loss of those traditions and a relief that I do not have to abide by them. It was both a fierce clinging to my own values of non-consumption and an irrepressible longing to be able to want to engage in the traditions. It was both a deeply-felt, beautiful spiritual life that is not fully in accord with the Christmas story and an honoring of the way in which families come together at Christmas, if not at any other time of the year. It was both a desire to see the lights and to hear the festive carols, and a compelling desire to hunker quietly at home with loved ones. It was both the desire to give freely, to make special handmade gifts, and the repugnance of all that mandatory giving limited to a single day or season each year. It was both the desire for things new and shiny and comfortable, and the hermit’s passion to hike a mountain trail in the grubby cold of winter. The ache was in the irreconcilability of these seemingly conflicting desires.

I have left rebellion against the holidays in the past, as much as I’ve left the traditions of my childhood. I no longer need to flee, nor do I need to show up in some predetermined manner.

It is this year for the first time, really, that I am able to live reasonably comfortably with these inner inconsistencies. Sure, I am feeling the slight edge of the season. I am taking extra time to myself when the holiday grumpies want to push me into unkind words. I am making small moments to reach out to others and making slightly larger openings to reflect in solitude. But I no longer need to berate myself when I find the Allelujah Chorus flowing out my mouth in the shower (the morning after we heard Messiah), or when we decide to forego the holiday invitations streaming our way.

Spaciousness, for me, is about holding the romance of and the distaste for the traditions. It is about allowing others and allowing myself. It is about giggling at the holiday cartoon a friend just sent and feeling free to leave the store when Frosty the Snowman is playing for the third time in a row. Spaciousness is about candlelight and warmth; deep connection with family and loved ones; the freedom to give all year 'round but not feel I have to give just because it's the holiday season; to smile with affection at the holiday clad, poised, studio photos in my mailbox while embracing my own bare-hands-on-the-earth feisty love of all things wild and natural. 

I can have the romance of my earthy now, the feeling of grief about holiday traditions now long gone, and just be with all of it today. Now that I am realizing this year that I’m a bit on edge, I am feeling less so than during prior holiday seasons. The more I accept this, the more peaceful I become.


All blog images created and/or photographed by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted.