Welcome!

Welcome! This is a place to share how we celebrate & deepen our relationship to Nature. Here you will find stories, images, & ideas about wilderness, human nature, & soulfulness. Drawing from the experiences of everyday living, the topics on this blog include: forays into the natural world, the writing life, community service, meditation, creativity, grief & loss, inspiration, & whatever else emerges from these. I invite you on this exploration of the wild within & outside of us: the inner/outer landscape.



Friday, December 6, 2013

Negative Space


One morning I was talking with a friend about some philosophical ideas and their practical implications. In response to something she said, I remembered the idea of negative space (in art). I told her that, even as we were conversing, I could look out my window and see the blue heavens behind the now-naked tree branches and how that beautiful cobalt sky just filled up the places where the leaves had been.

That entire day, as I worked, my eyes repeatedly wandered back outside to study the azure shapes framed by the light gray boughs.

I am reminded of a creative project I did over and over and over again as a small child. As early as age three or four, I would sit cross-legged on the floor at a low coffee table in our family room. With my 64-pack of Crayolas opened in front of me, I would pluck the black (or sometimes gold, or silver, or brown) crayon and draw a random, squiggling pattern all over the blank 8 ½ x 11 sheet. Then I would take the rest of the colors and fill in the negative spaces…all the blank white places that resided in between the outlines. I spent hours on each one of these colorings. My brain went quiet and my daydreaming self woke up; there was true abidance, true presence in the moment, the color I was using, my pressing need to transform the white inner spaces to vividity.

Increasingly, I made the project harder for myself. Sometimes I would set a limit on the number of colors I could use to fill in the negative space. Other times I would make the rule that no color could touch another of similar hue.
Always:  no color could touch itself in an adjacent shape.
Forever in my childhood and youth:  each empty space had to be filled with a color other than white.
A few times I limited myself to colors I never used in my daily drawings because I didn’t like them. Over time I made sure to create tinier and tinier spaces to color in. Occasionally I would close my eyes as I ran the outlining crayon across the page, over and over, under, around…

Even as an older girl of ten or eleven, I remember doing more “grown up” versions of this painted mosaic form. Unfortunately, by then my rigidity was setting in and I had less appreciation for the random…my colorful “abstracts” became more uniform, turning carefree swirls into ruler-tidy boxes or compass-assisted circles. My need for structure and my mistaken belief that orderliness equaled adulthood, led me down a path of tighter, more precise, less interesting color configurations.

Now I understand how the spaces “in between” are so rich and beautiful, just as they are. I see how the blue-seeming sky that colors in the spaces between bare limbs is the true gift of cold wintertime. I get how 
...
the transitions, 
the lulls between activities, 
the single empty thought just before falling asleep, 
the microslice of an instant between my exhalation and my inhalation, 
the great NotKnowingness amidst a sparsely populated foreground of what I think I know 
...
are all those white spaces between the darker outlines. It is what is contained in that negative space (even before a color I can see inhabits that area) that really compels me.

I believe this is the same passion my morning-chat friend has.  

There is ultimate beauty…and great power…in the negative spaces of our lives. May we embrace them in all their ungroundedness.


All blog images created and/or photographed by Jennifer J. Wilhoit unless otherwise noted.